Sunday 9 May 2010

Episode 2: The Georgian Terror Part 2

The carriage shook slightly and Georgia threw herself out of it. She landed badly on the muddy dirt road, and saw that the convoy of carriages had stopped. The Doctor and Conner ran out of one of the carriages over to her.

“What is it?” the Doctor asked her, as Conner attempted to pull her up.
“Doctor, I hate this dress!” Georgia shrieked.
“No, I mean why did you tell the carriage driver to stop?”
“Doctor, it’s the hair thingy, things!” Georgia said lamely.
“Wigs you mean?” the Doctor asked.
“Yeah, those things,” Georgia said, nodding, “Tyrone’s wig just started attacking him, and then its hair starting attacking me like tentacles or something, and it was scary.”
“Something scared Georgia, really?” Conner said sarcastically, and Georgia glared at him, “I thought only rabbits did.”
“That rabbit had fangs!” Georgia replied, “Anyway, this is serious, Tyrone is lying dead in there!” The Doctor ran over to the carriage, and peered inside, to see Tyrone lying on the floor, in a pool of blood, obviously dead.

“What’s going on?” Velda called from her carriage.
“Yeah, why are people taking such a long time, Grand mamma doesn’t like lateness!” Acacia added.
“Grand mamma doesn’t like a lot of things,” Mina replied sadly, and Velda patted her on the arm.
“I’m sorry Mrs Adlington, but your son has been injured,” the Doctor said, as he made his way back to the carriage.
“What’s up with Tyrone?” Paul asked, as he got out of the carriage and made his way over to the carriage where Tyrone was lying. Georgia stood up and blocked Paul’s way to the carriage.

“What is it? I want to see my son!” Paul snapped.
“I’m sorry, you don’t wanna see him,” Georgia replied.
“He’s dead,” Conner added.
“He can’t be,” Paul said, in a shocked voice, “Let me see!” Paul pushed past Georgia and looked into the carriage. He clapped a hand to his mouth and staggered away from it.
“I’m really sorry,” Georgia said, comforting Paul.

“What’s wrong Paul?” Velda called anxiously from her carriage.
“Our son’s dead! That’s what’s wrong!” Paul shouted, as he began to sob. The Doctor ran over to him and helped him towards his carriage.
“Come on, we’ll get to the Adlington mansion and we’ll get a Doctor to meet us there,” Conner told Paul.
“I thought you were a doctor,” Paul said to the Doctor.
“I am, but that’s of another science,” the Doctor said, “I can’t do medical treatment.”
“Right,” Paul said, as he sat back in the carriage. Georgia followed Conner into the carriage, while the Doctor told the carriage drivers and the other Adlingtons what was going on. A few minutes of silence later, the carriages had halted outside a huge mansion, with footman standing by the large front doors.

“Doctor, what are we going to do?” Georgia asked him anxiously as they exited the carriage, “Tyrone’s lying dead in that carriage, and I doubt this lot will believe that aliens killed him.”
“Milford has a strange story to tell too, don’t you Milford?” the Doctor replied.
“Indeed I do, and if it hadn’t have been for Georgia here, I may not be here,” Milford muttered, before walking over to Acacia, Velda, Paul and Mina.
“But seriously Doctor, what are we going to do?” Georgia asked, “What if they think I did it? I was the only one in the carriage, the wig hasn’t attacked anyone else, and it’s only my word that it did attack him.”
“Look Georgia, don’t you worry about a thing, admire the house, be Georgia the Georgian again,” the Doctor said, indicating that she accompany the others inside. Velda and Paul linked arms before entering the house, Acacia and Milford did the same, leaving Mina looking sulky. The Doctor raced up to her.

“May I accompany you inside?” the Doctor asked.
“You don’t have to do that,” Mina replied, “You don’t even want to do that.”
“Yes I do,” the Doctor replied, linking arms with Mina, and almost dragging her inside. Conner attempted to link arms with Georgia, but she whipped out her fan and ignored him. Once inside the newly-arrived guests hung in the hallway chatting.

“I’m really sorry for your loss,” the Doctor was saying to Paul and Velda, “I’m sure when a Doctor arrives he’ll be able to find the cause of death.” Acacia and Milford were having a private conversation, and were speaking in very low voices. Mina was standing on her own again, with crossed arms, and Georgia was fanning herself, and absent-mindedly revolving on the spot, and she stared around at the huge hallway.

“Can’t we go in?” Conner asked Mina.
“No, Lady Adlington has to come and meet us first,” Mina explained, “I’d rather she didn’t meet us at all.”
“Don’t you like her?” Conner asked.
“She hates me, so what do you think?” Mina asked, “Honestly, they think orphans are filth, but mother and father wanted to keep me.”
“I’m an orphan,” Conner muttered, “I don’t often think about it, but I always remember my parents.”
“I never knew my parents, and that’s the problem,” Mina sighed.
“So do you know anything about them?” Conner asked, “Did they name you, or...?”
“I was found on a doorstep, that’s all I know,” Mina replied, “Mother named me after her sister, she vanished, and nobody ever found out what happened to her.”
“That’s really sad,” Conner commented, as a woman wearing a huge wig entered the room. She had a large red dress, and she was wielding a large green flowered fan. Her white powdered face was slightly wrinkled, and she had small menacing eyes.

“Welcome all, but what do we have here, uninvited guests?” Lady Adlington asked.
“My Lady, they saved me from a monster,” Milford informed her.
“Velda, we need a chat about your son-in-law to be,” Lady Adlington told Velda, without looking at Milford, “But who is this pretty girl with such a beautiful fan?”
“I am Georgia my lady,” Georgia replied, curtseying, “I come from the capital, London, of course.”
“Do you live near parliament?” Lady Adlington asked with narrowed eyes, and Georgia looked around at the Doctor for help, but he was looking at Mina, who was shifting nervously away from Lady Adlington.
“No, I come from South London, away from the plebeians,” Georgia explained.
“How wonderful, parliament’s awful, I would pay for the Prime Minister to be assassinated, but I couldn’t bear any trouble,” Lady Adlington said, before asking, “Do you like the Prime Minister?”
“God no,” Georgia said, and immediately she received shocked looks from the Georgians, but Lady Adlington merely raised her eyebrows.

“I’m guessing some new fashionable phrase?” Lady Adlington questioned.
“Of course my lady, living in London means I receive all the latest fashion news,” Georgia answered.
“We must follow my lady in all fashions,” Velda said, “I have bad news my Lady.”
“What could this bad news be? The reason why Tyrone is not with us, I wonder?” Lady Adlington said, “Has he done his grandmother proud and joined the navy, because Velda that is not bad news, and Paul should know that too.”
“We do my Lady, but the bad news is that Tyrone is dead,” Paul said sadly.
“Dead? This cannot be,” Lady Adlington announced, “How come I have not been informed sooner?”
“It only just happened my Lady,” the Doctor answered.
“And you are?” Lady Adlington asked.
“The Doctor, and this is Lord Conner,” the Doctor explained, “We also come from London, we met in France apparently.”
“Lord Conner, what is your surname, for I have yet to hear of you,” Lady Adlington asked.
“Bennet my Lady,” Conner replied nervously.
“I thought you Bennets were from Cheshire,” Lady Adlington commented.
“We are another group of Bennets my Lady,” Conner answered.

“So, where is Tyrone, and why is he dead?” Lady Adlington asked seriously.
“He is in the carriage my Lady; we are not sure how he died,” the Doctor explained, “I think the wig may have been poisoned, but as I am not a Doctor of medicine I do not know.” The Doctor looked at Georgia, who nodded back.
“My Lady you must realise that now I have no heir, I don’t know what I am to do,” Paul said.
“No heir? What cheek!” Acacia said loudly, “I am your heir now papa.”
“I cannot have a female heir,” Paul replied, and almost immediately Lady Adlington swooped down upon him with a look of malice in her eyes.
“Acacia will be your heir Paul, I am a Lady and I am female, now no more of this no heir rubbish, you may now enter the dining room,” Lady Adlington ordered, “I shall have my personal Doctor look at Tyrone, and I shall have my footman take him to the mausoleum.” Lady Adlington gave orders to her servants and marched over to a large door which was opposite the front doors. One of her footman opened the door and bowed her and her guests through into the dining room, where several people were already sitting at a large table.

“Travis!” Lady Adlington snapped at one of her footman.
“Yes ma’am?” Travis asked.
“Pull up 3 new seats for our new guests, the Doctor, Georgia and Lord Conner,” Lady Adlington replied, as she sat down in the centre of the table opposite a surly looking man, who was wearing a large brown wig.
“I must introduce everyone to everyone else,” Lady Adlington said, “Georgia may sit beside me, here, Sefarina move up one. Georgia is from London everyone, don’t worry though, she does not support our parliament. Now Georgia, this is Sefarina, she’s my wonderful daughter-in-law, she’s from a very high class family, her husband is my son, Dolph over there, and they have a daughter called Marie.”
“Nice to meet you,” Georgia said to the other Adlingtons.
“A couple of my nephews are over there,” Lady Adlington pointed out, “But you needn’t know their names, as they are not Adlington’s. But that is my younger cousin Wilbur Young, who I wish to introduce to Marie.”
“No thanks,” Marie commented, as she saw that Wilbur was a couple of decades older than her.
“Marie don’t be so rude, apologise to my Lady,” Sefarina snapped.
“Sorry,” Marie said shrugging.

“Food will be served shortly ma’am,” Travis told Lady Adlington, who spotted Conner and the Doctor sitting down at the opposite end of the table and raised her eyebrows.
“Doctor, Lord Conner, do not sit down there, Dolph, Marie move up so they can sit in the centre with me,” Lady Adlington ordered, “Lord Conner is a Bennet, but that does not mean he travels in high social circles, especially since I have never heard of him.” Conner and the Doctor sat down opposite Lady Adlington reluctantly.
“Velda, where has Tyrone got to? Is he helping park the carriages?” Sefarina asked Velda.
“No, we have some bad news with Tyrone, he has been killed,” Velda said, as she began to cry.
“I’m having my Doctor see to him,” Lady Adlington said smiling, she seemed completely unaffected by Tyrone’s death. Paul, meanwhile, was comforting Velda and the other Adlingtons were looking very shocked and some were starting quiet conversations of their own.

“How are you Mina?” Marie said loudly to Mina, who was sitting at the end of the table.
“Marie, you must not call across to your cousin like that,” Dolph told Marie, who rolled her eyes.
“It's as bad as my mum having Mrs White round for dinner,” Georgia commented.
“Who is Mrs White, my dear?” Lady Adlington asked, “Does she move in high social circles like you?”
“Well she likes to think that she does, but she is just a neighbour,” Georgia explained, “She has never tried foreign foods before.”
“Foreign foods, my dear, we do not need them here in England, we only need the best food, which is English,” Lady Adlington replied, and Georgia was sure that her smile was now false.
“English food is the best my Lady, but sometimes it is nice to try other foods,” the Doctor said, “You must agree there.”
“Yes, one has tried snails, and something called rice, that has a very bland taste on the tongue,” Lady Adlington commented.

“How was your journey here, if you don’t mind me asking, my Lord?” Sefarina asked.
“It was fine, we met Milford on the way, and saved him from a strange beast,” Conner said.
“A strange beast, like a monster you mean?” Marie asked.
“Monsters come from fairytales,” Lady Adlington told Marie, “Do not speak of such things.”
“Milford, you were attacked?” Dolph called down the table.
“Father, you mustn’t call down the table like that!” Marie snapped.
“Yes, I was Dolph, it was terrible, it had fangs and everything, if Georgia hadn’t shouted at it, I would have been killed for sure,” Milford called down the table.
“You shouted at it?” Sefarina asked Georgia.
“Yes, I am a very loud shouter,” Georgia answered.
“A very un-ladylike trait, if you don’t mind me saying so,” Lady Adlington commented.
“Georgia has some very manly traits,” Conner replied, and Georgia gritted her teeth and decided to ignore him.
“Dinner is served,” Travis announced, as several footman marched into the room carrying huge plates of beef, hog, bread and berries.


Eirlys rushed into the Cooper’s shop and found Emmett cleaning one of the wigs with a brush. Eirlys had a concerned expression on her face, and the bottom of her yellow dress was splattered with mud.

“It has awoken,” Eirlys told Emmett.
“How can it have done?” Emmett asked.
“Superior technology has woken it,” Eirlys replied, “I don’t know where it has come from, but it is likely to be from a long way away.”
“Do you know where it is headed?” Emmett questioned.
“The Adlington mansion,” Eirlys replied, “But I don’t know why it would go there.”
“Because the last blood it tasted was Adlington, and now it wants more,” Emmett muttered, “We must get to the Adlingtons.”
“But not because of the monster, I take it,” Eirlys commented.
“We need the wig,” Emmett replied, “Or others will be set off.”
“You are right,” Eirlys muttered, and she pulled a blaster gun out of her dress.


Conner was very full, the food had been very tasty and he couldn’t help being piggish. Georgia, meanwhile, had finished eating long before him, and she had started fanning herself, as Lady Adlington had done the same.

“Lord Conner, how are you a Lord, when you are so young?” Marie asked, “I mean you cannot be much older than me.”
“I am 16,” Conner said.
“Really?” Lady Adlington asked, in a most interested voice, “You must be the youngest Lord in the country, where are your parents? And what happened to them?"
“They died of a plague, of spiders, I suppose,” Conner answered sadly.
“I am so sorry for your loss,” Lady Adlington commented, not sounding remotely sorry at all. A strange animal call came from outside the house.

“What was that noise?” Sefarina asked.
“I have no idea,” Dolph replied.
“Sounded a bit like a fox,” Wilbur Young commented, “Have you ever seen a fox Marie?”
“No, can’t say I really care whether I see one or not,” Marie replied, “Can we go into the drawing room now, I’d love to hear Milford play the pianoforte, and Acacia must sing too, she is such a great singer.”
“Thanks Marie,” Acacia said grinning, “I’ll play for you. Mina can sing really well too.”
“Ooh, well we must hear her sing too!” Marie said excitedly.
“That won’t be necessary,” Lady Adlington commented.

“I’m sure my Lady has planned all the entertainment for the evening Marie,” Sefarina told Marie, “So I don’t think you should start planning it.”
“We will have a game of cards, I think, but I’m sure we shall have some time for singing,” Lady Adlington replied.
“I’d rather not play cards,” Georgia commented.
“What you would rather not do is no concern of mine, sorry,” Lady Adlington said quietly, as another strange animal call was heard. Suddenly there was a banging on the window, and a growling noise. Marie and Acacia screamed.

“Do not fret Marie, I will comfort you,” Wilbur said standing up.
“No, I’ve got papa here,” Marie said, holding her father’s hand, as there was another growling noise and something large and brown, with glaring yellow eyes, appeared on the other side of the large windows on the right side of the room.

TO BE CONTINUED

0 comments:

  © Blogger template Brooklyn by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP