Saturday 20 March 2010

Episode X: Christmas Bells Part 3

“Happy Christmas!” Georgia yelled, running into Conner’s room and leaping on his bed.

Conner groaned and pushed her off of him. She threw him the pillow case from the end of his bed, which was filled with presents.

“There’s more downstairs!” Georgia grinned.
“Really?” Conner gasped. “I haven’t had a proper Christmas for years; my parents were always working on the Spidership over Christmas…”

After they had opened their presents, including one from the Doctor, Georgia raced into Colin and Elizabeth’s room to wake them up, while Conner thudded downstairs. He was rather surprised to see Elizabeth, lying next to the tree, with all her presents open.

“I got a little over-excited,” Elizabeth explained. “I opened all of these at 5 in the morning! Don’t tell Mr Bell, but I’m a little tipsy…”
“You can’t tell,” Conner lied.

Georgia and Colin came down the stairs with confused expressions.

“Mum?” Georgia asked.
“Yes dear?” Elizabeth said. “I’ll go and put the turkey on…”

After they had eaten their Christmas Dinner, which passed without much incident, except Elizabeth showing off her Waitrose crackers, Colin settled in front of the fire and fell asleep. The Queen’s Speech finished and he still hadn’t woken, so Conner had gone upstairs, Georgia had cleared the table, and Elizabeth had headed to the Church to pray with the Vicar, who was scared senseless by her.

“I’d better go and help Georgia with the table,” Conner muttered after he had looked over his presents.

He left his room and headed down the stairs, almost bumping into Georgia on the landing. She blushed and smiled at him.

“I was just coming to help you clear up,” Conner said quickly.
“I’ve finished now,” Georgia replied. “Happy Christmas, Conner.”

It was like a scene from a film; Georgia and Conner leaned closer together, their lips parting slightly as they prepared to kiss. Boom! The whole house shook, and Georgia and Conner were knocked over, before their lips even met.

“What the hell was that?” Georgia cried. “Dad?”

She raced down the stairs, Conner following. In the middle of the living, Colin was stood, frozen. White light poured through the curtains, consuming the entire house. Georgia ran to the front door, and opened it. More white light poured through.

“What’s going on?” Conner cried.
“Something’s taking us!” Georgia screamed. “Hold on!”

A few minutes later, Elizabeth returned to the house, and screamed. Where her home had previously stood, there was nothing but an empty mass. Everything had gone, including Colin, Georgia and Conner.

“No!” Elizabeth shouted. “Please! No, please! No!”

At UNIT, Kate ran back to Sally and Captain Gifford, who were watching a monitor with horrified expressions.

“The ship – it’s stolen a whole house!” Sally said.
“Whose?” Captain Gifford asked. “Find out who lives there! Check CCTV!”

Sally typed something into her keyboard, and an image of the missing Bell house appeared on the screen. Outside, Elizabeth had collapsed to the floor, shouting. Kate sat in the chair next to Sally and found the information on Elizabeth via a picture from the CCTV.

“That’s one Elizabeth Bell,” Kate announced. “Mother of Georgia Bell – she’s on our records – current companion of the Doctor, along with Conner Bennet.”
“Let me guess, the Doctor and Georgia were in the house at the time,” Captain Gifford sighed.
“I’m not so sure,” Kate replied. “According to a Mrs Viola White, Elizabeth had popped off to the Church, leaving husband Colin, daughter Georgia and guest Conner in the house.”
“How did you find that out?” Sally frowned.
“She called the Police 12 minutes ago,” Kate informed her. “Spoke to a PC Walsh, told him about the missing house. I’ve sent him a message telling him to let UNIT deal with it.”
“Good,” Sally said.

She clearly didn’t appreciate Kate stealing her thunder, so she sent out a call to several UNIT privates to head to the Bell house.

“I think I’d better lead this operation,” Captain Gifford said. “I want it noted – we’ve lost the Doctor’s companions, and the Doctor is nowhere near the scene. If it gets any worse, we’ll have to call in Torchwood. Well, what’s left of it. Send Privates Charlotte and Alfie to look after Mrs Bell.”

He left the room and headed to a car, which would take him to the Bell house.

“What are we gonna do, Sally?” Kate asked. “If the Doctor and his companions are gone, Earth hasn’t got a chance.”
“What do you mean?” Sally replied. “You said the ship was harmless – the aliens probably want to talk to people who know about aliens and speak their language.”
“I lied,” Kate sighed. “The ship is a war ship. Today, Christmas Day, is the last of planet Earth.”

Sally gulped. Elizabeth heard the noise of sirens and pulled herself to her feet. Her neighbours mustn’t see her like this – she’d have to be strong. Three cars pulled up, and soldiers in red berets jumped out, carrying guns and surveying equipment. Two soldiers, Privates Charlotte and Alfie headed over to Elizabeth and removed her from in front of the house.

“I’m Private Charlotte,” Charlotte announced. “Now, if you’d like to talk about anything you’ve seen here, don’t hesitate to ask myself or Private Alfie here.”
“I’d like to know how old this one is,” Elizabeth said, pointing to Alfie. “He’s lovely!”
“Thank you,” Alfie smiled. “Oh, can someone deal with the neighbours?!”

He shouted over at several newer Privates, who rushed over to restrain a nosy Mrs White. A few seconds later they ran back over to the bigger Privates, clearly terrified, and Mrs White forced her way over to Elizabeth.

“Elizabeth my dear, how are you?” she boomed.
“Fine,” Elizabeth assured her. “These lovely soldiers will return my house. Probably get me an insurance claim too. Not that I approve of that behaviour.”
“You deserve some after being traumatised,” Mrs White agreed. “I must go, my dear! I’ll telephone the Vicar and his wife to pray for you!”
“Do say hello to him for me, won’t you?” Elizabeth trilled as she was led off by Charlotte and Alfie. “I was only praying with him this morning. You must pop round later and view my property brochures; we’ve bought several for America!”

Mrs White didn’t have time to point out that the property brochures had vanished along with the house, as Elizabeth had walked off. As they headed towards a car for a private moment, the sound of the universe ripped through the air. Elizabeth gasped and let go of Charlotte’s arm. All of the UNIT soldiers got down on one knee, their heads bowed, and their hands in salute.

“Did you miss me?” the Doctor asked, stepping out from the TARDIS.

Kate screamed and pointed at the CCTV screen. Sally nearly fell off of her chair when she saw the Doctor striding in front of the house, addressing Elizabeth from beside the car.

“I’m going there,” Kate said, picking up her things. “Only you and I know the situation with the ship, and someone’s gotta tell him.”

Sally nodded, and Kate left the room. Elizabeth finished explaining to the Doctor, who surveyed the space the Bell house had left behind.

“Somebody tell me, is there a ship in the sky?” he asked, looking at Charlotte and Alfie.
“Yes sir,” Charlotte replied. “It’s harmless.”
“Really harmless, yeah,” the Doctor sighed, waving at the empty space. “I bet Georgia and Conner think so too, wherever they are.”
“And Colin,” Elizabeth added. “That’s my husband, you know!”
“We know,” Alfie said.
“I need someone to come with me to this ship,” the Doctor announced.
“We know,” Alfie said. “Can I come?”
“No,” the Doctor replied. “Anyone else? Charlotte, you’d better stay here and keep the peace with UNIT, I don’t want them shooting at the ship – it’ll be armed to the teeth.”
“I guessed that,” Charlotte smiled. “I’ll do it. Alfie will help me.”
“I know,” Alfie said.
“Shut up,” Charlotte growled. “That’s the Doctor you’re annoying.”
“I know,” Alfie said.
“I’m actually gonna punch you,” Charlotte calmly stated.
“I’ll come!” Elizabeth piped up to the Doctor.
“Brilliant!” the Doctor said. “And completely your own suggestion! Let’s go!”

Elizabeth hesitated, wondering if he’d planned for her to ask to come, and when she realised that he’d made her say that, she sighed, and followed. The rest of UNIT, including Captain Gifford, saluted, and watched in awe as the Doctor and Elizabeth departed in the TARDIS.

“My goodness!” Elizabeth gasped. “How marvellous! Simply marvellous! You have seating in your spaceship!”
“Aren’t you gonna exclaim that it’s bigger on the inside?” the Doctor frowned as he set the console in motion.
“But you have seating!” Elizabeth exclaimed.
“And a luxury shower,” the Doctor added.

Elizabeth smiled happily, and sat down on the seats beside the console.

“I think I’m going to like it here,” she decided. “When we’ve saved my daughter and husband, I’ll just pop back and fetch a few clothes and we’ll be off!”
“What?” the Doctor said. “You mean permanently?”
“That’s what this is all about, isn’t it?” Elizabeth asked, confused. “I thought… I do shop at Waitrose whenever I can; Colin only goes to Sainsbury’s when Waitrose’s services are unavailable.”
“I’m sure you do,” the Doctor replied, regretting his plan immediately. “Here we are.”

Elizabeth and the Doctor stepped out onto the ship, which was even more luxurious than the Doctor’s seating. Elizabeth ran a hand along the wall, tracing the patterns in the marble walls, while the Doctor slipped his brainy specs on and observed a monitor.

“They’ve got Georgia and Conner,” he confirmed. “I guess they know about me, and didn’t want me interfering. We should go back, I need more help.”
“But this is an alien spaceship!” Elizabeth trilled. “My first alien spaceship!”
“The TARDIS doesn’t count?” the Doctor asked.
“I suppose,” Elizabeth said, with a small mischievous smile.
“Can you stay here for two seconds? I need to find Zac and Kaylie,” the Doctor grinned. “We could do with their help.”

Elizabeth nodded and hid behind a pillar as the TARDIS dematerialised. Almost immediately there were footsteps in the corridor, and, peeking from behind the pillar, Elizabeth saw two robots dressed as Santa Claus march along. With robotic noises and movements, they stopped, dead still, and turned to face her.

“Oh no!” she gasped.

She ran from her hiding place and down the corridor. The Robot Santas followed her, and as she reached the door to safety, a third stepped out in front of her, blocking her path.

“Where’s the Doctor?” Kate asked Captain Gifford, stepping onto the scene of the incident.
“He left, with Elizabeth Bell,” Captain Gifford replied. “They’ve gone to stop the alien ship.”
“But I need to warn him – that ship is far more dangerous than we previously thought!” Kate cried. “They could blast us out of the sky at any minute, and they’ll probably do it tonight! Christmas Day, maximum effect. I need to get to the ship, has anyone got a teleport?”
“We don’t allow those,” Captain Gifford said.

Kate sighed and ran back to her car. There was one place she could get a teleport, from one person.

“Petr Costravalos,” she muttered.

The Doctor stopped working the TARDIS controls, and sat down. He had no intention of finding Zac and Kaylie; he had done all he planned. Leave Elizabeth at the mercy of the Robot Santas, leave Earth defenceless. Job done.

“Sorry Elizabeth,” he said quietly. “You’ll thank me later.”

To be continued…

0 comments:

  © Blogger template Brooklyn by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP