Thursday 8 April 2010

TTV Series Episode 7: Law and Order

The TARDIS dematerialised from the Moon. A few seconds later, it materialised. Crystal Harris stepped out, and examined the house as the Doctor followed.

“When are we?” she asked.
“10th of February,” the Doctor replied. “1542, England, and a Tudor house at that.”
“I’ve always wanted to go to the Tudor times,” Crystal grinned. “And you’re sure it’s here?”
“It?” the Doctor frowned. “It is a he. And his name is Rumpleton. But yes, I’m sure he’s here.”
“Remind me, why are we hunting Rumpelstiltskin?” Crystal asked.
“Because he is a human hunter,” the Doctor replied. “And he knows we’re after him, so he’s going to be hard to catch. Let’s split up – search the house and grounds, and if you can’t find him, return to the TARDIS.”
“Won’t that be a bit dangerous?” Crystal wondered. “If he’s a human hunter, I mean, cos he might come after us. Though I suppose you’re a Time Lord, and I can’t really be considered human anymore…”
“You’re still human,” the Doctor smiled. “But you should be safe – he only hunts the people he’s paid to hunt, and right now, that’s someone here.”
“You don’t know who, though,” Crystal summarised.
“No, but I bet we’ll find out. Ring me if anything happens, I want to be informed of anything, no matter how big or small, it could be a clue as to who we’re protecting.”

Crystal nodded, and walked down the corridor to the left side of the house. The Doctor looked back at her, before heading down to the right side of the house. Very quickly, Crystal found a staircase, and headed down the steps. At the bottom was a kitchen, full of people, all silent. She approached one of them, hoping to discover more about the house.

“Excuse me, could you tell me where I am?” Crystal asked the woman.
“You’re in Syon House,” the woman replied. “They’re about to take her away.”
“Who?”
“Catherine Howard, the Queen,” the woman said, with a voice of disgust. “To the Tower, I expect.”
“She was King Henry’s wife, right?” Crystal asked. “The… fifth one?”
“That’s right,” the woman nodded. “She’s been found guilty of treason, had numerous affairs, so I’ve heard. Oh look, there she goes now.”

Crystal heard a scream, and rush out of the house. In her haste to help, she hit the doorframe, and fell onto the ground. Several men pulled a pretty girl in a dress by her wrists. She screamed and fought, but they managed to drag her to the carriage, which poorly hid a cage inside its wooden panels.

“Get off her!” Crystal cried, running to help.

She shook the gravel out of her hair as she leapt at one of the men. Instead of landing on his back, she passed right through him. Falling backwards in terror, she realised that nobody could see or hear her.

“Oh God…” she muttered. “I don’t want to be invisible for the rest of my life!”

She chased after the woman, and passed through the solid metal of the cage bars. The door was closed, and one of the men bent down on the ground, picked something up and threw it in the cage.

“I believe this is yours, your majesty,” he said, mock-bowing.

The woman ignored the object, beginning to sob as the cage was driven away. Crystal looked at the object, and grabbed it.

“That’s my locket!” she cried.

The woman beside her jumped in fright, and clutched the bars once more. Crystal realised that she could see and hear her very clearly. She reached for the cage, and it felt solid once more.

“Ah, you can see me.”
“Who are you?” the woman asked, shrinking back into the corner.
“My name’s Crystal, I don’t want to hurt you,” she said, attempting a smile.
“I’m Catherine Howard,” Catherine replied. “How… how did you just… appear out of thin air?”
“I’m dead,” Crystal explained. “God, I’ve had to explain this so many times. I need to think of a word for dead, but not dead. Right, ignore all of that, okay? I’m an immortal.”
“An immortal?” Catherine gasped. “And that locket of yours, it can turn you invisible?”
“It’s keeping me alive, actually,” Crystal said. “I didn’t realise people wouldn’t see me without it. I’ve only recently become an immortal, and I guess I haven’t found everything out that there is to know.”
“Well, I know you’re lucky,” Catherine sighed. “I was stupid… had affairs with men I didn’t even like, and now… it’s the Tower, and then execution for me. You don’t understand what it’s like… Henry has a bad leg, it smells at night… do you really think I want to make love to that?”

Crystal shook her head, and grimaced. Suddenly, her phone rang, and she pulled it out. She’d completely forgotten about the Doctor.

“Oh, hey.”
“Where are you?” the Doctor asked. “I just found Rumpleton, but he scampered off to London.”
“You’ll never believe this, but I’m in a cage,” Crystal replied. “Going to London.”
“Rumpleton captured you?” the Doctor asked in disbelief.
“Not quite,” Crystal blushed. “I kind of… fell into the cage. Oh, and say hi to Catherine Howard.”
The Catherine Howard?” the Doctor gaped. “Actual Catherine Howard?”
“Yeah, actual Catherine Howard,” Crystal laughed. “If you find the time, feel free to join us at the Tower of London, or perhaps the scaffolds.”

She put the phone down, and saw Catherine glare at her. She was obviously unimpressed with Crystal’s scaffolding remark.

“Sorry.”

***

The Doctor made his way through the crowds. All watched the scaffold, waiting for Catherine Howard to step out and put her head on the block. But the Doctor was there for a more serious matter – Rumpleton was looking for someone in the crowd.

“I wouldn’t normally use a gun, but this situation is serious,” the Doctor convinced himself. “You have to do it, Crystal could be in danger. She’s with Catherine right now, risking her life to help her, and you owe her that. You keep her safe. And don’t let Rumpleton kill Henry VIII either.”

He was pretty sure that his history was accurate, and that Henry hadn’t attended the execution of his fifth wife, but he wanted to make sure. History would seriously be skewered if Rumpleton succeeded in killing him. A hush fell over the crowd, as Catherine stepped out onto the scaffold. The Doctor squinted, and could just make out Crystal following her, holding her hand. He spotted the lump in Catherine’s pocket, where Crystal’s locket was keeping its owner invisible to human eyes.

“You all know why I’m here today,” Catherine called, addressing the audience.
“Don’t cry,” Crystal urged her. “I’m here for you.”
“My punishment is just and fair, and I have betrayed my king, and my people. I ask that my family grant me mercy, and that you pray for my soul,” Catherine continued, her voice cracking slightly.

She knelt down, and rested her head on the block. Crystal squeezed her hand, as the blow landed, and Catherine was killed. What happened next was over very quickly. Crystal was thrown off of her feet by a blast that was invisible to all but herself and the Doctor. Beside Catherine’s body, a second Catherine was forming, the small purple crystal in her brooch glowing. The Doctor knew he had to act before she became visible to the public’s eyes.

“Ah, Rumpleton, there you are!” he cried.

As he was watching Catherine, Rumpleton had forced his way through the crowd, and was preparing to kill the Doctor. With a bang, the Doctor shot Rumpleton, who collapsed. The crowd heard the noise and scattered, screaming and running in all directions. Crystal fumbled inside Catherine’s pocket, and pulled out her locket.

“Doctor!” she cried as the Doctor leapt up to the scaffold. “It’s happening again, Catherine’s becoming an immortal!”
“Let’s get her into the TARDIS,” the Doctor said, lifting the dead Queen’s new form up and carrying her off.

***

“There’s one thing I don’t understand,” the Doctor said.

He and Crystal were leaning against the TARDIS console, watching Catherine, who was just beginning to wake up.

“Yeah?”
“How did Catherine hold your hand and hear your voice up on the scaffold?” the Doctor frowned. “I can’t work it out.”
“She couldn’t before,” Crystal shrugged. “In the cage, she couldn’t hear me then. I guess it’s because she was close to becoming an immortal.”
“Nice name for it,” the Doctor smiled.
“It makes me feel special,” Crystal laughed. “What are we gonna do with old Catherine over there?”
“Can we keep her?” the Doctor asked. “No wait, why am I asking you? It’s my TARDIS, course we can. You don’t mind though, do you?”
“It’ll be nice to have someone to relate to,” Crystal smiled. “Perhaps I’d better do the explaining; she might try and kiss you if you’re then when she wakes up.”

***

King Henry VIII of England handed King Francis I of France a drink, and sighed.

“The Doctor told me I was very lucky,” he said. “Rumpleton had a weapon, apparently.”
“That Doctor is a fine man to be friends with, is he not?” Francis replied. “Now, I also heard about the commotion at Catherine’s execution…”
“I’d rather not speak of her,” Henry muttered, finishing his wine.
“Well I expect not,” Francis laughed, also finishing his drink. “After all… She hath done wondrous naughty!”

The End

1 comments:

Becky 8 April 2010 at 18:09  

Great episode, even though I'm rubbish at history :P Can't wait for more!

Becky :)

  © Blogger template Brooklyn by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP